The Research Desk is a conditional staple
||One of these please, except better
||Research Grant: Interact to upgrade a blueprint in adjacent cabinet
Further information: Research, Upgrade Tree, and Blueprints.
The research desk is an appliance that can upgrade blueprints in a surrounding Blueprint Cabinet (orthoginally or diagonal).
- Interact for 5 seconds to upgrade blueprint in a single Blueprint Cabinet
- The hit box of the appliance is 1 x 0.5, meaning with careful placement of two such dimensioned items, the player can pass between the appliances.
This appliance is a Conditional Staple
- If the player has no active Research Desk, the Research Desk will be placed in the pool of Staples, which is a small collection of appliances with a high chance of being offered at the shop.
- If the player has an active Research Desk, it will be moved out of the pool of Staples and into the regular pool of Blueprints, referred to as the Seed Pool.
- Blueprints of appliances within the pool of Staples will not appear through a reroll.
- While the appliance is not part of the Staple pool, its blueprints can appear through a reroll.
The Research Desk upgrades function differently compared to most appliances, as they can be upgraded multiple time until the desired Upgraded desk is acquired. Upgrading the Research Desk will randomly select one of three upgrades, but upgrading any of the upgraded desks will follow a specific pattern that will keep looping among its upgraded versions.